Managing a brand's social presence may be difficult, regardless of your expertise level in social media management. After all, you will be under the pressure of creating all the content and interacting with potential customers.
Social media managers and online community managers have to wear a lot of hats in today's time. Having a checklist will help you function efficiently while keeping track of your tasks.
The good news is that we created a social media management checklist to assist you in maintaining intriguing relevant content. In this article, we’ll cover the daily and monthly tasks every social media manager needs to succeed.
Social media management tasks
Before we dive into the checklist, we're going to break down the tasks which social media managers have to perform:-
- Strategy - Building a strategy that works for your business is the most important step in social media management.
- Content- You have to create High quality and engaging content to grab the attention of your audience. Create content which brings value to your business as well as your audience.
- Sharing- you must post on your intended social media platforms regularly to maintain and grow your audience.
- Community - create a community of your audience so that You can engage with your audience by using polls or DM them or by replying to their comments to build brand loyalty and trust.
- Monitoring - you need to monitor how your brand is perceived online. So you must monitor mentions of your brand and topics of your industry.
- Reviewing and optimising - To achieve more from your social media strategy, you must evaluate your performance and adjust it. This is the most crucial element of any content management strategy since without it, you can't make changes to the content you have created.
- Automation - Not everything needs to be done by you alone. Today, we have all the tools we need to handle social media at our disposal. Use them to manage your social media accounts automatically.
If you want a robust social media presence then you must have to be an expert in these 6 areas.
Without wasting much time, let's dive deep into these aspects and learn in detail about our social media management checklist.
You can't go far without a strategy, be it social media management or social media marketing.
The most important thing you must do if you want to accomplish your desired business objective is to develop a plan for your company.
Any current marketing plan must include both social media management and social media promotion. Although they are frequently used interchangeably, the two have substantial distinctions.
With the correct strategy and plan, your company can use social media management and marketing to establish a purposeful, genuine presence on social media that benefits your audience and helps you expand your brand.
Want to learn helpful strategies for managing (and marketing) social media platforms, as well as how to create a strong online presence, generate leads, and more? Then get our posts sent to your inbox once a week.
Set clear goals
firstly set up goals that are very clear to you and write them down in a notebook or a Google doc or at some place where stakeholders can access them easily.
Do not complicate the process. Keep goals clear and simple like "300 followers in 30 days or increase engagement rate by 10%"
You can use Trello to collaborate with your team members and create a strategy project.
- Define and track key performance indicators - once you have a list of your goals, ask yourself how will measure the success of your social media campaign. The measures you will set for tracking are the KPIs. You can use DOMO to create and track your KPIs on a concise dashboard.
- Focus on the right platform- you shouldn't waste your time on the platforms where your intended audience is not hanging out. Instead, find out which platform is working well for you or you can track your competitors, on which platform they are active most.
- Create buyer persona - buyer persona will give you deep insight into what are the pain points of your audience or who is your audience. You can download the buyer persona template for free below -
It is obvious that if you don't provide interesting and genuine material, your audience will become bored and eventually go to a rival who offers them value, like your competitors. Before you go ahead read this ultimate guide for creating content.
1. Complete your profiles
Make sure to complete your profiles on all the social media platforms you have chosen. You must make clear to your audience who you are and what you stand for. Include all the pertinent information, and don't forget to include a bio or introduction.
2. Create a content bank
Create a list of your relevant content ideas and posts and save them in a spreadsheet or a Google doc. This will give you an insight into what topics you have to create content which fulfils the need of your audience. You can create your posts in advance and store them in your content bank.
3. Create content templates
When you create templates of the post and content it saves your man hours and streamlines several different tasks from content creation to banner ads or Instagram post creations. You can use Canva for your social media post or digital banner ad and many more. Canva is a platform which already has 1000s of templates ready to change as per your need.
4. Making a list of hashtags
Hashtags are words and number the # symbol that categorise and track content on social media. Social media networks use it as their primary organising tool. Create a list of pertinent hashtags that will appeal to your audience and help people find you. Online, there are several hashtag generators available.
5. Create a content calendar
A content calendar is an overview of your upcoming content organized by date. Your content calendar should be consistent because your audience will come to expect your content at a certain time or day. Here is how you can download the content calendar template.
6. Experiment with content type
If you aren't getting enough engagement on your current content type, then you should try other types of content. E.g., if you post only long videos on YouTube then you can try posting YouTube shorts. if you post only pictures on Instagram then you can try reels.
Your utmost priority should be sharing content on social media. That's what will help and allow you to reach your target audience, and attract and keep them engaged.
According to a survey done by Hubspot, most social media managers post between 4 to six times a week on social media platforms to keep consistency.
On average, some managers post more or less depending on the platform. For instance, some of the managers post daily on Facebook and some on Twitter.
You should also consider sharing user-generated content and content created by people other than your competitors along with your brand content. Let's deep dive into how can you share your content more effectively.
1. Posting when your audience is active
The best way to get more likes and engagement from your audience is to find at what time they are active on the platform. When you post your content at the same time as when your audience is most active, it will appear at the top of their feed when they open the app.
2. Collaborate with experts and other creators or brands
Experts and other creators or brands or even influencers tend to have a larger audience. When you work with them, you make a public appearance in front of their audience. You may reach a larger audience and increase interaction in this manner.
3. Repurposing your best and old content
You can repurpose your best and old content and publish them on other platforms. You can take out some useful information from your blogs and write short copy, so you can create tweets out of them or you can create reels or YouTube shorts from your long videos.
4. Encourage your audience to share the content with others
You may encourage your audience to share your content with others to reach a larger audience. Employee-generated content establishes your brand as a reliable authority.
5. Boost your post
You can boost your post organically by sharing on other social media platforms or using paid ads. All you need is a network of audience or a marketing budget if you can afford it.
Digital marketers now use social media as a powerful and essential tool to interact with their audience. Monitoring and replying to customers' Dms, Replying to their comments & reviews can have a positive impact on the growth of your brand’s online presence.
1. Monitor your brand mentions
It's important to know how your brand is being perceived online especially while growing your business. Track your brand mentions getting a better sense of how your brand is doing online and what customers think of your brand. Semrush and Hubspot both have brand monitoring tools which you can use to stay on top of all the mentions and even track your competitors too.
2. Replying to comments and direct messages
Responding to your audience's comments, direct messages, or reviews—both favourable and negative—is one of the simplest methods to engage them. You can also try starting a conversation and asking your audience to join you if your comment section is silent as a graveyard.
3. Motivate your followers to create user-generated content
The opinions of your current consumers will be appealing to others who are considering purchasing your product or service. You can motivate your followers to create and tag you in the tutorial video or they can share their feedback in the video or post on their account.
4. Participate in industry talks
Participating in industry discussions is a terrific approach to demonstrating your knowledge and positioning yourself as a leader in your field. If done correctly, it can boost your authority and attract more customers.
5. Identify trends and buzz topics
Trends come and go every week, every month on social media. You never know what will be trending tomorrow. The best way to find trends is to check hashtags, social listening or the Discover tab to see what's trending currently.
Reviewing and optimising
The only thing left to do after deploying your strategy and publishing your content is to evaluate how it performed and improve it for better outcomes. To get the most out of your data, do the activities listed below.
1. Track your competitors winning strategy
You should know well your competitors if you want to beat them. To avoid wasting time on trends that won't benefit you, find out which ones are now in style.
2. Track engagements and follower growth
Tracking changes in your engagement and follower count are the two most important KPIs you can have. They speak a lot about your progress. For instance, you have posted something and there is a sudden drop in your followers or maybe you have changed your content style and very few people are engaging. This means that you have a problem with your published content.
3. Reviewing results to optimize your strategy
Use your KPIs to determine if you have to change your strategy. If a strategy isn't working for you, don't be frightened. To improve your outcomes, you can develop a new approach.
It might be tough to complete all of these tasks alone. You don't have to complete all of the aforementioned tasks by yourself. There are several tools available nowadays to assist you with all the tiresome jobs. You can automate processes like tracking trends or your competitors and others.
You can use tools like semrush social media toolkit or Hubspot to ease this process.
There you have it - your detailed checklist for social media management to keep you on top of your game.